It’s natural for us to want to spoil our dogs at this time of year. If you’re treating yourself, you want to be nice to your pet at the same time.
Try these special Christmas treat recipes for dogs. Remember, that if you’re feeding your dog treats, you should cut back on the amount of food you give him. Treats should be occasional too, if you want to prevent weight gain.
- 150g ground almonds
- 50g coconut flour
- 75g no salt, no sugar peanut butter
- 3tbsp ground ginger
- 1tbps cinnamon
- 60ml water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until they form a ball.
3. Roll the ball out flat (about 1 centimetre high) and use a small biscuit cutter to cut
into 25-30 treats.
4. Place the cut biscuits onto a greased baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
5. Turn off the oven and open the door slightly. Leave the biscuits in for another 45
minutes to crisp up. When cooled, store in a glass jar or tin
Recipe adapted from Pretty Fluffy.
Apple Mint Dog Bones
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 140g unbleached plain flour
- 75g rolled oats
- 45g oatbran
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 1½ teaspoons dry baking yeast
- 2 tablespoons chopped spearmint leaves
- 115ml unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons spinach powder (optional, or the colour)
- 200ml water
1. Preheat the oven to 120 degrees C.
2. Place all the ingredients into a mixer with a dough hook. Switch the machine on, and
allow it to bring everything together into a dough.
3. When the dough is ready, roll out to roughly a centimetre thick, and use a mini dog
bone cookie cutter to create the biscuits.
4. Put the biscuits on a greased tray and cook for about an hour – check after 45
minutes that they are not too brown. Turn the oven off, open the door slightly and
leave the biscuits to cool or several hours.
5. Store in a jar or tin.
Recipe adapted from Best Dog Treat Recipes.
Peppermint Holi-dog Biscuits
- 420g wholemeal flour
- 225ml water
- 1 tsp molasses
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, molasses, peanut butter, water, olive oil and
peppermint extract until smooth.
3. Knead the flour on a floured surface and roll out to a centimetre thickness. Cut with
festive cookie cutters and place on non-stick baking sheets.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and store in a sealed container
Recipe adapted from Petguide.com